Herbert: I have a new Internet friend!
赫伯特: 我交到一個新的網(wǎng)絡之友了!
Don: You mean the guy who thinks you're 1) Ms. Right?
唐: 你是說那個把你當作夢中女郎的家伙?
Herbert: Yeah! We're meeting on Friday night!
赫伯特: 對!我們星期五晚上要碰面。
Don: You're what? 2) Have you lost it?
唐: 什么?你瘋啦!
Herbert: I 3) gave up on looking for a girlfriend. Now I’m making friends!
赫伯特: 我不找女朋友了?,F(xiàn)在我只要交朋友!
語言詳解
A: I lost my wallet.
我的皮夾掉了。
B: Retrace your steps, and you'll probably find it.
循原路找回去,八成就能找到了。
【gave up on... 放棄……】
give up on是“放棄,投降”之意,give up on someone/something是代表對某人或某事很失望,不想再花任何的心思或精力在上面,也就是“覺得……沒指望了”的意思。
Don't you give up on me? 是個很常用的說法,比如說你無法意會老師教了你半天的東西,你就可以面帶誠懇地跟老師說Don't give up on me, please. 讓老師感受到你的誠意,不要這么快放棄你。
A: Mark is your friend. You shouldn't give up on him so easily.
馬克是你的朋友。你不應該這么輕易地放棄他。
B: I guess you're right.
我想你是對的。
A: I thought you were studying Japanese.
我以為你在學日語。
B: I gave up on it. It's too hard.
我已放棄日語了,太難了。
1) Ms./Mr. Right 對味的終生伴侶,真命公主 / 天子。
2) Have you lost it? 你瘋啦?
3) give up on 放棄……