I took the lamp from him, and I examined the machine very thoroughly.
我從他手里拿過燈,非常徹底地檢查那機器。
It was indeed a gigantic one, and capable of exercising enormous pressure.
這確實是一臺龐大的機器,能夠產生巨大的壓力。
When I passed outside, however, and pressed down the levers which controlled it,
然而,當我走到外面,壓下操縱桿時,就聽到有颼颼聲,
I knew at once by the whishing sound that there was a slight leakage,
我馬上明白這是機器里有細微的裂隙,
which allowed a regurgitation of water through one of the side cylinders.
裂隙使得水能經由一個側活塞回流。
An examination showed that one of the india-rubber bands which was round the head of a driving-rod had shrunk
經過檢查表明傳動桿頭上的一個橡皮墊圈已經皺縮了,
so as not quite to fill the socket along which it worked.
因而不能塞住在其中來回移動的桿套。
This was clearly the cause of the loss of power, and I pointed it out to my companions,
這很明顯是浪費壓力的原因,我向我的伙伴指出了這一點,
who followed my remarks very carefully and asked several practical questions as to how they should proceed to set it right.
他非常仔細地聽著我的話,并問了幾個關于應該怎么修理好這臺機器的實際問題。
When I had made it clear to them, I returned to the main chamber of the machine
對他們交代清楚以后,我回到機器的主室內,
and took a good look at it to satisfy my own curiosity.
為了滿足我的好奇心,我仔細地打量著這個小房間。
It was obvious at a glance that the story of the fuller's-earth was the merest fabrication,
只要看一眼就會明白,關于漂白土的故事,完全是胡扯,
for it would be absurd to suppose that so powerful an engine could be designed for so inadequate a purpose.
因為如果認為這個功效如此之大的機器竟然是為這么不恰當?shù)哪康亩O計的,那才真是荒唐可笑呢。