將來進行時
Hi John, what are you thinking about today?
嗨,約翰,你今天在想什么?
Do you remember Ted?
你還記得泰德嗎?
Oh yes--that funny student who always slept in class.
哦,記得——那個總是在課堂上睡覺的有趣的學生。
Right! That's the guy. I bet if I call him in 1 minute, he will be sleeping.
沒錯!就是那個家伙。我敢說,如果我在1分鐘內給他打電話,他會在睡覺。
I can surprise him with a grammar question.
我可以用一個語法問題讓他大吃一驚。
He will think he's having a nightmare!
他會以為他在做噩夢!
Does this call to Ted have a link with grammar, aside from asking him a question?
除了問他一個問題之外,打給泰德的這通電話與語法有關嗎?
It does! We use the term aspect to describe whether a verb's action is completed or not.
有!我們用“體”這個詞來描述動詞的動作是否完成。
When an action is ongoing, or not completed, we say the verb is continuous or progressive.
當一個動作正在進行(即未完成)時,我們說動詞是進行時。
So you will be calling Ted--even though you think he will be sleeping?
所以你會給泰德打電話——即使你認為他會在睡覺?
That's right--and you just used the future continuous--future refers to time and continuous refers to the action continuing.
沒錯,你剛才用的是將來進行時——將來指的是時間,而進行時指的是動作繼續(xù)進行。
Well, at least until we interrupt Ted's sleep.
至少在我們打斷泰德睡覺之前。
Well, let's give him a call right now.
那我們現在就給他打個電話吧。
I'm afraid I will not be making a new friend, though.
不過,恐怕我不會交到一個新朋友了。
Hello. Ted! Dr. Jill has a question for you.
你好。泰德!吉爾博士有個問題要問你。
Ted, can you give me an example of the future continuous?
泰德,你能給我舉個將來進行時的例子嗎?
And that's Everyday Grammar.
以上就是今天的《每日語法》。