迷你對話
A: I was punished for copying other’s paper and admitting it. It was so depressed.
我抄襲別人的論文而且還不承認,我給批評了。我好郁悶呀!
B: You should pay for what you have done. If theshoe fits, wear it.
你該為你的所作所為付出代價,如果是真的就承認吧。
地道表達
If the shoes fit, wear it.
1. 解詞釋義
“If the shoe fits, wear it.”的字面意思是“如果鞋子大小合適的話,就穿上吧。”或者是“鞋合腳的話,就穿上吧。”引申為“”如果批評得對,就接受吧。”或者是“如果是真的就承認吧。”或者是“假如你覺得這件事情適合,你就去嘗試吧。”
2. 拓展對話
A: I am very sad that my mother blamed that I had broken the vase.
我好傷心啊,我媽媽責怪我把花瓶打壞了。
B: Come on! If the shoe fits, wear it. And I think your mother will be not angry any more.
好啦,如果是真的就承認吧。我想你媽媽不會再生氣的了。
Ps 1: be punished for的意思是“因......而受懲罰”。例如:
The child was punished for playing truant. 孩子因逃學受到懲罰。
The guard was punished for deserting his post. 衛(wèi)兵因擅離職守而受到處罰。
Ps 2:copy one’s paper的意思是“抄襲試卷”。例如:
You should have copied other’s paper in the English exam. 你不應該在英語考試中抄襲別人的試卷的。
Ps 3:pay for的意思是“為......而付出代價”。例如:
It's a privilege we have to pay for! 我們不得不付出高昂的代價!
He will have to pay for this foolish behaviour. 他將要為這種愚蠢行為而受報應。