MOTHER, the folk who live up in the clouds call out to me-- |
媽媽,住在云端的人對我喚道——“我們從醒的時候游戲到白日終止。 |
"We play from the time we wake till the day ends. |
“我們與黃金色的曙光游戲,我們與銀白色的月亮游戲。” |
We play with the golden dawn, we play with the silver moon. |
我問道:“但是,我怎么能夠上你那里去呢?” |
I ask, "But, how am I to get up to you?" They answer, "Come to the edge of the earth, lift up your hands to the sky, and you will be taken up into the clouds." |
他們答道:“你到地球的邊上來,舉手向天,就可以被接到云端里來了。” |
"My mother is waiting for me at home," I say. "How can I leave her and come?" |
“我媽媽在家里等我呢,”我說,“我怎么能離開她而來呢?” |
Then they smile and float away. |
于是他們微笑著浮游而去。 |
But I know a nicer game than that, mother. |
但是我知道一件比這個更好的游戲,媽媽。 |
I shall be the cloud and you the moon. |
我做云,你做月亮。 |
I shall cover you with both my hands, and our house-top will be the blue sky. |
我用兩只手遮蓋你,我們的屋頂就是青碧的天空。 |
The folk who live in the waves call out to me-- |
住在波浪上的人對我喚道—— “我們從早晨唱歌到晚上;我們前進又前進地旅行,也不知我們所經(jīng)過的是什么地方。” |
"We sing from morning till night; on and on we travel and know not where we pass." |
我問道:“但是,我怎么能加入你們隊伍里去呢?” |
I ask, "But, how am I to join you?" They tell me, "Come to the edge of the shore and stand with your eyes tight shut, and you will be carried out upon the waves." |
他們告訴我說:“來到岸旁,站在那里,緊閉你的兩眼,你就被帶到波浪上來了。” |
I say, "My mother always wants me at home in the evening--how can I leave her and go?" |
我說:“傍晚的時候,我媽媽常要我在家里——我怎么能離開她而去呢!” |
Then they smile, dance and pass by. |
于是他們微笑著,跳舞著奔流過去。 |
But I know a better game than that. |
但是我知道一件比這個更好的游戲。 |
I will be the waves and you will be a strange shore. |
我是波浪,你是陌生的岸。 |
I shall roll on and on and on, and break upon your lap with laughter. |
我奔流而進,進,進,笑哈哈地撞碎在你的膝上。 |
And no one in the world will know where we both are. |
世界上就沒有一個人會知道我們倆在什么地方。 |