Situational Words and Phrases 情景詞匯
1.awful a. 糟糕的,可怕的
A: His father just passed away.
甲:他父親剛剛謝世。
B: How awful!
乙:太糟了!
2.compassion n. 同情
A: It's strange that the millionaire has compassion for the sick and poor.
甲:很奇怪,那百萬富翁憐憫病人和窮人。
B: Maybe he has too much money!
乙:也許他有太多的錢!
3.condulence n. 吊慰,哀悼
A: You've my sincere condolences.
甲:請接受我真誠的安慰。
B: Thank you.
乙:謝謝。
4.dreadful a. 可怕的,令人不快的
A: He failed in business and killed himself.
甲:他買賣虧了本,自殺了。
B: Oh, what a dreadful thing to happen!
乙:哎呀,太糟糕了。
5.extend one's sympathy to sh. 向某人致以同情
A: I know schooling's irnpvrtant to me, but I have to quit school. My parents are suffering from poverty. They can't afford to pay this tuition.
甲:我知道上學對我很重要,但我不得不輟學。我父母在受貧窮之苦。他們交不起學費。
B: Oh,I'm sorry to hear that. Please extend my sympathy tv them.
乙:哦,聽到這事我很難過。請向他們表示我的同情。
6.likely a./ad. 有可能的(地)
A: It seems hardly likely that they would agree with you.
甲:他們似乎不大可能同意你的觀點。
B: I'll try my best to persuade them to aooept my view.
乙:我要盡力說服他們。
7.miracle n. 奇跡
A: I guess he'll fail the exam.
甲:我猜想他考試會不及格。
13: Maybe he'Il pass it by some miracle.
乙:也許他會僥幸通過。
8.one's heart goes out to sb. 非常同情某人
A: She failed the exam.
甲:她考試沒及格。
B: My heart goes out to her.
乙:我很同情她。
9.possiblllty n. 可能性
A: Is there any possibility of their success?
甲:他們可能成功嗎?
B: Absolutely.
乙:絕對有可能。
10.prediet v. 預言,推側
A: They're. predicting a good harvest this year.
甲:據說今年會有好收成。
B: But I don't think so.
乙:我看未必。
11.probability n. 可能性
A: There is much probability that he carr he saved.
甲:很有可能他會獲救。
B: I hope.
乙:但愿如此。
12.somewhat ad. 有幾分,略,稍
A: You seem to be about forty or somewhat younger. Maybe thirty-six or so.
甲:你好像四十歲,或更年輕一點兒。也許三十六歲左右。
B: It's kind of you to say so. I'm no longer that young. I'm forty-six.
乙:謝謝你這么說。我不再那么年輕了。我四十六歲。
13.suppose v. 推想,以為,假想
A: I suppose he could have gone to Europe. But how did he obtain a visa to visit there?
甲:我推想他可能已經去了歐洲??伤窃趺磁饺ツ莾涸L問的簽證的呢?
B: Maby he was lucky.
乙:也許他運氣好吧。
14.sympathetic a. 有同情心的,體諒的
A: How do you like your boss?
甲:你覺得老板怎么樣?
B: He's very sympathetic.
乙:他很有同情心。
15.sympathize v. 同情
A: I sympathise with the plight of the children whose parents ran't afford to send them to school.
甲:我非常同情那些孩子的境況,他們的父母供不起他們上學。
B: So do I.
乙:我也是。
16.take pity on 可憐,同情
A: How did you get wet all over?
甲:怎么搞得渾身都濕了?
B: I forgot to take an uinbreila and had to walk through the pouring rain until a kind driver took pity on me.
乙:我忘了帶雨傘,一直在飄潑大雨中走著,直到有一個司機同情我(搭他的車回來)。