托德:約恩,我希望你介紹一下自己和你的樂隊。
Eoin: Sure. My name's Eoin. I work and live in Beppu in Oita in Japan and I play in a band called Nanbanjin. I play bass guitar. The band... there's three of us in the band — a vocalist and guitarist, myself, and a drummer.
約恩:好的,我是約恩。我在日本大分縣別府市工作和生活,是南蠻人樂隊的成員。我在樂隊里負責演奏貝司。我們樂隊一共有三名成員,分別是主唱兼吉他手,我,還有鼓手。
Todd: That's it. Three guys.
托德:好。三名成員。
Eoin: Three guys. Yeah.
約恩:對,三名成員。
Todd: So, one guy sings and also plays guitar?
托德:那有一名成員既唱歌又演奏吉他?
Eoin: That's right.
約恩:沒錯。
Todd: And then you play the bass guitar?
托德:你演奏貝司?
Eoin: Mh-hm.
約恩:是的。
Todd: And then the drummer?
托德:還有一名鼓手?
Eoin: That's right.
約恩:沒錯。
Todd: Are you guys all from England, like yourself?
托德:你們都來自英格蘭嗎?
Eoin: No. I am the only person from England. The singer and guitarist is from Wales, a small country which is next to England, and the drummer is from Japan.
約恩:不是,我是唯一一個英格蘭人。主唱兼吉他手來自威爾士,是毗鄰英格蘭的一個公國,我們的鼓手來自日本。
Todd: That's a pretty mixed group.
托德:真是一個混合的組合。
Eoin: Yeah.
約恩:對。
Todd: So, how did you guys all come together?
托德:那你們是怎么組建樂隊的?
Eoin: That's a really long story but I actually originally met the singer and vocalist, who's called Dai. I met him in Oita. We were both teaching English nearby and we got together and did some music stuff together and previously we had a different drummer, a New Zealander who was also doing the same English teaching job in Oita. He went back to New Zealand and after that we enlisted the help of Manabu, the current drummer we have now.
約恩:這說來話長了,一開始我認識了主唱戴。我是在大分縣認識他的。我們都在附近教英語,然后我們開始一起做音樂,我們樂隊之前的鼓手來自新西蘭,他也在大分縣從事英語教學。他回新西蘭以后,我們得到了現(xiàn)在的鼓手學的幫助。
Todd: That's pretty interesting that just three English teachers from different countries in a pretty small city in Japan... you guys just get together and...
托德:這真有意思,來自不同國家的三名英語老師在日本一個小城市相遇,你們一起組建了樂隊……
Eoin: Yeah. It was... Well, I had know Dai for quite awhile before we actually started playing and I played in another band but it wasn't really my type of music and Dai I knew could sing quite well and was into similarish music to me so we got together and tried a few things out and then it just happened, this other guy, who was playing the drums, the New Zealander, was available to help us out and it all started from there.
約恩:對,是這樣的……我認識戴很長時間以后,我們才開始一起做音樂,我之前在另一個樂隊,不過那個樂隊的音樂類型不適合我,我知道戴唱歌很好,而且我們兩人對同樣的音樂類型感興趣,所以我們就開始一起做音樂,嘗試進行了一些事情,然后剛好那名來自新西蘭的鼓手可以幫我們一起做音樂,所以我們就這樣組成了樂隊。
Todd: And then, what's the name of the band?
托德:你們樂隊叫什么名字?
Eoin: Nambanjin
約恩:南蠻人。
Todd: Nanbanjin
托德:南蠻人。
Eoin: That's right.
約恩:沒錯。
Todd: OK, can you explain the name?
托德:你能解釋一下樂隊名字的含義嗎?
Eoin: Yeah. Nanbanjin was what Japanese people called some of the first Portuguese people to ever come to Japan. It means... if you translate it literally... it means barbarians from the south. Savages from the south, because presumably they thought the Portuguese were pretty savage. We're not Portuguese but we are foreigners and I thought it was quite an appropriate name for a rock band.
約恩:好。南蠻人是日本對第一批來到日本的葡萄牙人的稱呼。如果直譯的話,意思是從南方來的野蠻人。來自南方的野蠻人,可能是因為他們認為葡萄牙人非常野蠻。我們并不是葡萄牙人,不過我們是外國人,所以我認為這個名字很適合搖滾樂隊。